Thursday 7 February 2013

Watermelon Basket

So as you can tell from the title of this post or at least I hope you can, we made a watermelon basket! YAY! But it wasn't watermelon season :( so the watermelons weren't sweet.
We did the watermelon basket the same time we made the cucumber shark.


The garnishing tool we used to cut the watermelon was the 'V-Shaped Garnishing Tool' or it's also known as 'Harold Chef Harvey Decorator Knife'.



We just basically poked it through and connected each of them to make sure it comes out smoothly.





We used a melon baller to make the watermelon meat into balls. Since we only had 2, we took turns make the watermelon balls but as I found out I was not really good at this...which is weird because I have to say, I'm pretty darn good at scooping up ice cream with the ice cream scoop. So after I did a few I decided to spend my time trying to crave out hearts out of the watermelon peel (it was really hard to do) since I want to make our watermelon basket cute! :D

I felt like the handle for our basket was too thick...

I don't know why but every time I see those photos, they remind me of a whale...maybe we should have done a whale watermelon or a hedgehog.

In the end, since it wasn't watermelon season, the watermelon was not sweet at all and because the rest of my group (3 of them) had science (2 different classes and you're not allowed food because of safety/health issues) I had to take it to my Socials Studies Class since I thought it would be a waste to just throw it away like most of the class. I got some pretty weird stares as I was walking through the hall with this on a tray with toothpicks. 
Luckily I got my Socials Studies Class to finish most of it but I had to compost the rest since nobody wanted it.

No comments:

Post a Comment