Wednesday 12 December 2012

Easy Nut Brittle


In our food art class, the unit we're doing right now is candy making!! I love candy but I can't say I like making it...it's all about the temperature and things like that which I suck at. But lucky this recipe was REALLY easy to do!


Finished Product
The recipe:

Ingredients:  


  • 250 mL sugar
  • 125 corn syrup
  • f.g. salt
  • 250 mL nuts ( it can be peanuts, cashews, almonds, macadamia nuts, etc.)
  • 5 mL butter/margarine
  • 5 mL vanilla
  • 5 mL baking soda

Method:
  1. Spray a jelly roll plan with non-stick spray and place on a hot mat.
  2. In a large glass bowl or glass measuring cup stir sugar, corn syrup and salt (if the nuts are salted already, you don't need to put in salt) with a wooden spoon or silicon spatula.
  3. Microwave the mixture on high (cover the top with scale paper or a paper towel) until the syrup is pale yellow (about 5-8 minutes). If it doesn't turn colour when the time is up add 30 seconds until colour change.
  4. Add nuts and then put it back into the microwave for 1 more minute (or longer if you don't get an amber colour to the mixture, always add only 30 seconds every time you put it for longer in the microwave).
  5. Immediately stir in the butter, vanilla and baking soda. Don't worry if it starts bubbling  or foaming, it's meant to do that.
  6. Quickly and carefully (it's HOT!) pour into the jelly roll pan.
  7. Spread the brittle evenly across the jelly roll pan (you have to do this quickly or it would start to harden).
  8. When the brittle is completely cooled break into pieces.


Product: 

So I forgot my camera when we did this lab so I had to use my really bad iPhone camera. So sorry for the bad pictures!





This looks really unappealing in this picture...
but it tastes really good! 


At home, since I didn't have time to take pictures during school.




I really liked this recipe, not only was it easy but delicious too! Everyone in my family liked it except my grandma but she complains about everything I make.

No comments:

Post a Comment